Japanese Hairdressing Scissors and Barbering Shears Maintenance Guide
In order for you to receive the best performance from your Kamisori or in fact any high quality Japanese hairdressing scissors or barber shears, please take note of the following:
Using a soft cloth towel, thoroughly wipe your Kamisori shears and blades after every cut. This will reduce build-up of chemicals and debris, which
may adversely affect the performance of your Kamisori shears throughout your workday. At the end of the day make certain your Kamisori shears
are thoroughly dry between the blades.
After cleaning and drying your Kamisori shears, carefully open to a 90 degree angle. Put one or two drops of top quality scissors oil provided with
your Kamisori Shears into the “joint”. It assists the cleaning process by washing out dirt and debris from under the pivot and leaves a wax like
coating. This should be done at least once a workday.
Why Oil and Clean Hairdresser Scissors Daily?
Daily oiling and cleaning will enhance the performance and extend the cutting life of your Kamisori shears. Regular cleaning and lubrication
protects against rust and deterioration from chemical/moisture contact in the salon environment, build-up of bacteria attracting debris in the interior
pivot and blade area, reduces friction from blade movement, and prolongs sharpness.
3. Adjusting Scissor Tension (Balancing):
Adjusting tension is an important part of getting the best results from your Kamisori scissors. If your shears have a diamond studded dial, it is
important not to rub on the jewels while turning the tension knob. Repeated pressure on the jewels can cause them to break off. Rather, turn the dial from the ridged area around the side, not from the top.
If the tension is too loose, it will allow your Kamisori shears to fold the hair. If it is too tight, it will cause unnecessary wear and user fatigue. To test
for tension, hold the shears with the tips pointed upward. Lift one handle up so the blade is in a ninety-degree angle and let the blade fall closed. If
the blade falls completely closed the tension is too loose. Rather, it should close about two thirds of the way.
When your Kamisori scissors are not being used, keep blades in a closed position. This will reduce the chance of nicking and accidental damage to
Never use magnets to hold Kamisori shears in storage. This can magnetize the blades attracting undesirable dust and other particles.
How you store your Kamisori scissors is very important. For adequate protection and ease of travel, you should store your Kamisori Shears in the
case provided. They should be secured in one position. Leather is the material that is most recommended for storage.
5. Sharpening your Japanese Scissors
Your Kamisori shears, if maintained properly, will have a very long lasting edge. When the time does come for re-sharpening, the process must be
done carefully through a professional sharpening service center that has the facility and experience to sharpen high quality Japanese style shears.
Please do your research before allowing your shears to be sharpened by a center. Warranty will be void if improper sharpening damages your
6. Do’s and Don’ts:
1. Clean, dry and lubricate your Kamisori shears at the end of each workday.
2. Check your Kamisori shears for adjustment (tension), at least once each day.
3. Check your Kamisori shears for sharpness at least once each month.
4. Handle your Kamisori shears with gentle care. Protect the edges from everything except clean hair.
5. Store and transport your Kamisori shears in the case they came in or in a leather case/holster.
1. Don’t use your Kamisori scissors when they are nicked from dropping.
2. Don’t store your Kamisori shears when dirty.
3. Don’t “throw” your Kamisori shears in a drawer when not in use.
4. Don’t let your Kamisori shears come into contact with any comb sterilization, perm or color solution; it may cause corrosion and other damage to your Kamisori shears.
We are the authorised distributor for KAMISORI hairdressing scissors and barber shears in the UK and Ireland so return to us for professional servicing and to retain your warranty.